Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Peach-raspberry pie

Lucas and I had a few guys from his office over for dinner on the 4th of July. In the spirit of the holiday, I thought I would bake a pie, because what goes better with the 4th of July than pie? I had planned to make peach-blackberry pie, but when I got to the store after saving my shopping for the day of the holiday, I was saddened to discover they were sold out of blackberries. So, I swapped the blackberry idea for raspberries at the last minute. In hindsight, I maybe should have just made a peach pie and left out the other fruit entirely, but there's always next time. As a warning, peach-raspberry pie is very, very, sweet.


This pie was my first attempt at a lattice top pie. I made the crust from scratch, and probably should've made a bigger batch as it turns out I made a crust for a regular dish pie, and the dish I own happens to be deep dish. So, the edges weren't turned under as nicely as they should have been, and there are fewer lattices than I wanted, but an overall respectable attempt. Last summer I found an all butter pie crust recipe that I loved, and then promptly lost it. I have tried several times to replicate said pie crust, but cannot recreate the delicious flaky butteriness of the original. This crust was just a version of the Better Homes and Gardens red plaid cookbooks pie crust, substituting butter for the shortening. Eh. Nothing special.

Peach-raspberry pie
1 recipe for a double crust pie (use your favorite)
7-8 peaches, peeled and sliced
1.5 cups fresh raspberries
1/2 c. sugar
3 T. all purpose flour
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1.5 T. unsalted butter, cubed (I forgot this step. Do Not forget this step!!)
1 egg, mixed with a little bit of cold water (to brush on the crust)
sugar (to sprinkle on the crust)

Directions:
1. Make pie crust for double crust pie. Divide dough in half and refrigerate 30-60 minutes. Roll one half of dough to 1/4" thick and place in 9" pie plate. Allow dough to overhand the edges.
2. Mix peaches and raspberries with sugar, flour, lemon zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon into crust. Dot with the cubes of butter.
3. Roll out second half of dough to 1/4" thickness. Use a pizza cutter, pastry wheel, or knife to cut 10 strips of dough 3/4" thick. Weave into lattice top over filling. Turn bottom crust edge over edges of strips and roll and pinch together.
4. Brush egg over the strips and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake 40-50 minutes on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven (based on original recipe. my oven never works right, so I baked it close to 1.5 hours. maybe your's will work better...). Crust should be golden brown and filling should be bubbling when done.


No comments: