Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Honey Pecan Porkchops with Carrots and Apples

In addition to having a plethora of lemons to use, we also have a large quantity of pecans fresh from the farm, thanks to Lucas' grandparents. Recently, we were looking for a last minute recipe to use with some porkchops we had bought on sale, and what a delicious and fast recipe we did find. Anything involving butter, pecans, and honey really can't go wrong. We served this with a side of carrots and apples, which is a recipe of my mom's that I hadn't made it quite awhile. This became evident when I forgot how to make them while in the process of making them, and therefore they did not turn out like mom's. Thankfully, though, I have called her since then and now have the correct method for next time!

Ingredients:
1. 1 lb. porkchops or tenderloin cut into strips

2. 1/2 c. flour
3. salt and pepper
4. 2 T. butter

5. about 1/4 c. honey
6. about 1/4 c. pecans
(We used more honey and more pecans than the recipe requests....therefore, our version was most likely tastier =])

Directions:
Combine the flour and salt and pepper in a bowl. Dredge porkchops in mixture to coat. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add porkchops and cook until brown on both sides and center cooked through. Remove porkchops from pan, but reserve drippings.





To drippings, add honey and pecans, stirring to make a sauce. Heat through, and serve over porkchops.





For the carrots and apples:
1. Cut 2-3 medium sized carrots into coins.
2. Slice 1 medium sized apple into slices, then cut slices into quarters (see picture...). You can peel or leave skin on.
3. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil (I don't know how much--enough to cover the carrots and apples...). Add carrots and boil until they begin to soften. For the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, add the apples.
4. Drain water and add 1-2 T. butter and 2-3 T. brown sugar to the hot carrots and apples. Melt over low heat to form a glaze. Feel free to adjust the amount of butter and sugar to taste. Those amounts are just guesses anyway, since it changes every time I make them.




Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly, you are quite the chef. I really like this blog - maybe someday you will put something on here that I could actually make. :) I could start my own, but all it would have on it is frozen pizza! Keep it up!

Kelly said...

Thank you friend! Any word on your plans for Ireland? We are heading out in 3 weeks--I'm so excited!

Anonymous said...

I think Ireland is off the McMenamy docket for now. :( We hope to possibly do a mission trip to an orphanage in Guatemala with our church this summer - I can't wait to see some pictures of your trip! I will have to live vicariously through you...