Saturday, February 9, 2008

Welcome!

Hello--welcome to my new blog, dedicated to postings of food and recipes. Lucas and I still keep our other blog, but this will be the place for me to share what has been going on in the Ward kitchen.

On the other blog, I mentioned that we have a Meyer lemon tree in our yard. I'm not going to repost the previous things I made, but most recently I tried a sugar cookie with Meyer lemon icing. The
cookie recipe was my grandma's, and it makes a nice, chewy cookie that is crisp on the edges. I had to try a few different recipes before I found one with that consistency. Should have started with Grandma's cookie first! The icing was a simple combination of powdered sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, and the juice from a lemon. I have made it once with Meyer lemons and once with lemons from the store (Eureka or Lisbon maybe?). The Meyer juice is much sweeter and therefore makes a very sweet icing.

Aside from baking, I came across a recipe for Red Curry Chicken that I tried out last week. It was made with a mild curry sauce and se
rved with brown rice and sweet potatoes. This was my first attempt at Indian food, and I can't wait to try it again. The recipe: 1 medium diced onion, 8 oz. chicken breast, cubed, 1/2 c. canned diced tomatoes, 3/4 c. water, 2 T. olive oil, 3-4 T. red curry paste (mild). Saute onion in oil. Add chicken and cook until lightly brown. Stir in curry paste. Add tomatoes and water and simmer uncovered until sauce thickens and chicken is thoroughly cooked. I made one slight change to the recipe in that I used a chicken that I had roasted the day before with a garlic and lemon rub, so our chicken may have had a different flavor than the recipe will give. I served it over brown rice with sweet potato that I roasted in the oven with olive oil and salt.

Next time--Ricotta cheese blueberry pancakes.



No comments: