Thursday, April 17, 2008

F5: Pan-seared Tilapia with Edamame and Mango

I have decided to start a new feature on my blog after a bit of inspiration from my brother, Jeff. Last week he sent me a recipe idea, which I then made, and which is now the first "Featured Flavors of Friends, Family, and Fstrangers" (the "F5") recipe. (yes, that says fstrangers. It is a bit hokey to add an "f" to the word strangers just to make it work for me, but at the time when I thought of it, it seemed hilarious. Now, it seems mildly annoying, but we're gonna stick with it anyway...) The rules of this contest are simple--you submit a recipe (you can e-mail it, mail it, hand it to me...), then if I make it and love it, I will share it on the blog as the monthly winner of the F5 award.

The recipient of the F5 award for the mont
h of April: Jeffrey.
(I don't have a physical prize to award you...maybe that
will come someday if this blog ever starts producing an income...)

Pan-seared Tilapia with Edamame and Mango


Ingredients:
Tilapia fillets
Frozen edamame, out of the pod*
Mangoes, cut into small pieces
Low-sodium soy sauce

Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the fish and cook 3-4 minutes each side, until flaky.
2. Meanwhile, boil some water and add the edamame. Boil about 5 minutes, then drain and add to the tilapia pan when the fish is done cooking.
3. Add the mango to the pan as well and cover with the soy sauce. Reduce the heat, stir, and cover pan. Let the soy sauce get soaked into the mango and boil t
he excess off a bit, but not too much cause it might burn. *I could only find edamame in the pod--if that is all you can find, just thaw and remove from pod before cooking.

Increase proportions of fish, mango, and edamame according to the size crowd you are feeding. When Jeff makes this for himself, he recommends 1/2 cup edamame, and 1 mango. It is delicious, fast, and healthy. Thanks for sharing!!


So, send in some recipes for the next F5 award! I have set no deadlines, other than I will post the next winner sometime in May. You can enter multiple times, too, in multiple months. I may need you to, because I'm not sure I'm quite up to 12 readers yet...although, apparently I do have some global readers--I've had visitors from a total of 10 different countries thus far--with 3 from Turkey! So, welcome to everyone and thanks for reading! Enjoy the food!

No comments: