Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Basil Pesto

So, I thought about just pretending I didn't abandon this blog for 2 months and just go ahead and make a new post like it was totally routine....then I decided that no one probably checks this anymore anyway, so I should probably make some mention of the fact that I am starting to post here again. Most people who read this blog read our other blog as well, so this news should be a shock to....no one. I'm pregnant! Being pregnant put me off of cooking and baking for fun for awhile, but I am happy to announce that the second trimester seems to agree with me and baking and cooking are no longer a problem. So, coupled with the fact that I am not working this summer, I should have plenty of time to post here. Starting with.....

Basil Pesto!


My neighbor, Sam, grows basil and was kind enough to give us some regular and lemon basil, with which I made my first batch of pesto. I found some recipes online, but pretty much just eyeballed it until it looked like the right consistency. The lemon basil gave it a nice citrus-y kick and it was a very refreshing dish for a hot summer day. I made the pesto a few weeks ago and froze it until we used it this week. I had read varying reviews on if you should freeze the pesto before or after adding the cheese. I finally went with after, just for the sake of easiness. It froze very well, no flavor or texture concerns to speak of. Below is what was added--I pureed all in a food processor until smooth, adding more olive oil until the consistency I wanted was achieved. I say just experiment with the quantities of ingredients. Seemed to work fine for me!

Basil Pesto
Fresh basil leaves, stems removed (at least 1.5 cups)
toasted pine nuts
olive oil
salt
grated parmesan cheese

Puree basil, pine nuts, salt, and cheese in food processor. Drizzle in olive oil until smooth. Serve over pasta, or I suppose it could also be used as a spread on bread or sandwiches. Freezes well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read and I am glad that you are back to adding things to your blog.