Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Whole Wheat Flour


I have been wanting to experiment baking with whole wheat flour for awhile, so I finally picked some up the other day at the store and pulled out my new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. I was also considering substituting agave nectar for the sugar, but after learning that agave nectar can change the texture of the cookie, opted to go only with the flour change for this batch (since the reason I love these cookies so much happens to be the texture in the first place). These are the perfect combination of chewiness and crunchiness. Delicious. The change to whole wheat flour also can affect the texture, so for my first batch, I used a little more than half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour. The result was an even chewier cookie--yum! The recipe makes a lot of cookies (near 5 dozen--which no, we did not eat all by ourselves...), so consider halving it if you are just baking for 2 (which we were, but I tend to go overboard anyway).

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Whole Wheat Flour
adapted from The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather

1 c. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 T. vanilla extract
1 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 scant teaspoon salt
semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like Guittard)
white chocolate chunks (not white chips...I just chop up a white chocolate bar)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or spray with cooking spray).
2. Cream the butter in a mixer with the paddle attachment. Add in both sugars and continue mixing until fluffy (2-3 minutes). Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix on medium speed 1 minute.
3. Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and whisk together. Add to creamed mixture in 3 batches, mixing on medium-low speed just until combined between batches.
4. Stir in chocolate chips and white chocolate chunks by hand (use as much or as little as you prefer).
5. Drop dough onto cookie sheet using 2 spoons or a 1 3/4" dasher (which I am not lucky enough to own). Leave about 1.5-2" between cookies. Bake 10-12 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. The middles may still look light or under cooked, but as they cool that will go away. Allow to cool on pan 2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.

Yum!!!

1 comment:

Sam said...

We are the very luck next door neighbors to Kelly and Lucas and to my childrens delight got a bag of these cookies. They were great as always, I had thought they looked a little different but they tasted just as yummy as before.

I often sneak in flax seed meal into our breads but haven't made the switch to wheat flour but now I will!

-Sam.